Friday, September 14, 2007

Dreams and stuff

Yes, that's an intellectual title isn't it???!! =) I'm tired this morning, but I have a full day ahead of me so I knew I needed to hit God's word early this morning. Not feeling good on top of it too......yuck. Just an update on my mom, everything is ok she's home and hopefully nothing else will happen. Thanks for your prayers, e-mails and comments, I know she could feel them!!

So this morning God lead me RIGHT to the book of Daniel. I've always been fascinated with this book because I have always agreed that God does, can and will speak through our dreams.....sometimes. I have mentioned before that lately I've been having a lot of strange dreams....and no I'm not eating ice-cream before bed! I've shared with a few close friends a few of my dreams.....just to make sure I'm not loosing my mind, although I did get some BIG EYES a few times. =) just kidding!!

I got through chapter 5 of Daniel, this is when God writes on the wall......kinda scary, at least if you were there it would have been!! In fact it says that King Belshazzar was "so frightened that his knees knocked together and his legs gave way" meaning he probably fainted! But, the part that really got my wheels turning was this.......In verse 25 of chapter 5, it says what the writing on the wall said. "Mene, Mene, Tekel, Parsin"......means, "Mene: God has numbered the days of your reign and brought it to an end. Tekel: You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting. Peres: Your kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians."

Now, if I had the time, I'd go through and write out all my thoughts on this, but I think it would take all day of looking this stuff up very carefully. But there is one part that really struck me........the "Tekel: You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting." The first place I looked this part up was in my footnotes of course, it says this, "Measured in the light of God's standards." My Net Bible has this version: As for teqel – you are weighed on the balances and found to be lacking.

I also found this: Daniel explained that the twice-used term ‘MENE’ informed the king that God had numbered his kingdom and was putting an end to it (verse 26). In effect, God seems to be saying to Belshazzar, “Time’s up.” ‘TEKEL’ meant the king had been weighed on the scales of divine justice and found deficient. The king had given God short measure. ‘PERES’60 is the divine notification that the Babylonian kingdom was to be divided and handed over to the Medes and the Persians (verse 28).

When I think about my life, I sure don't want God to have to use such drastic measures to make me see that there are things in my life that are un-balanced. I can see from this verse that God does judge us, and there are standards he "weighs" us by. I fail daily at this, as I'm sure you feel that way too. But isn't it just awesome to know that because of the price that Jesus paid for us, our scales are always balanced out?? Yes, we are going to be held accountable when our "times up" but, if we have trusted in the Lord to be our saving grace, it's all been balanced out already. I know there are many believers who believe that because this price is paid already, we're good......we got out ticket into heaven, our "fire insurance", but God really does have so much more for us.

I have to think about how many times even already today, I think about the time, when my "time's up". Some days I long for it......some days I don't. But when I read scripture like this, I'm reminded that God is very real......just like he was to King Belz and King Neb he is just as real to you and I. But perhaps the problem is we are willing to "see God" this way anymore. You don't really hear about God writing on the walls to much now days do you?? =) But I can't help but wonder, if I was willing to see it, what would be written on my walls today???

Oh God is good, all the time.....and I don't want to end this right now, but life awaits. Praying for you all today. I hope this makes sense, not sure right now, but again.....just my thoughts, however random they are!! Have a BLESSED Day!!

1 comment:

Sharon Brumfield said...

Thanks for this post.
I guess the thing that hit me most was about the days being numbered. Even this king who was found wanting--God had numbered his days from the beginning.
What plans has he planned for those days?
I do believe that God still talks to us in dreams.
I have had some that have left me questioning. Wishing there was a Joseph out there to go to and ask questions of.
I have probably had a half dozen that have placed a feeling in my soul that is not like the other ones. There is a special feeling about them.
One that I will never forget was about a key. God said that I had a choice to take the key or the key would be given to someone else.
I took the key.
One day He will show me what that key will open. I do know that it will open the door to some kind of ministry.
Write the vision down. Without a vision the people perish.
Have a great day walking in the blessing.