Ok all my blogsters, are you ready for my first every guest post? Am I ready for this??? I don't know!
Knowing so many of you out there are either looking for jobs or know someone looking for jobs, I'm pulling out my greatest resource to this area at hand...my mom. She is the HR manager and girlfriend knows her stuff about resumes, interviews and the whole process. She has beefed up my resume more than once!
Welcome my mom, Luann to the post! Now, be sure to give her a big bloggy welcome and include your thoughts and questions in the comments!
So without further ado..here she is (cue applause):
I am a 53 years young woman who and never did things the conventional (normal) what ever that may be, but who made the rules any way?
I never had a clear "professional track". Never really knew what I wanted to be when I "grew up", until I found myself being a Human Resources Manager in manufacturing no less (those in manufacturing would appreciate that). So, for the last 11 years so that is the track I have been on.
Took me 9 years to get that degree, but who is counting? Yes, I have been to the school of hard knocks and back...learned a lot I must say.
Some people would call me a wife, a mom, a Mimi, a sister, a friend, mother in law and aunt. Well..to me I am Luann.
I've been told I have the gift of encouragement, to the point of being annoying,(the daughter seconds that!) so all of you who are struggling with this economy, job or lack of, there is hope! And I want to help!
This has been a passion I had for 5 years, so off with the "Luann hat" and on with the coach hat! I have loved this job worked with..CEO's, CFO's, Sales, Marketing, Manufacturing, Students, Nurses, Engineers, Maintenance, Teachers etc..etc...And I want to share my insight with you!
However, there are a couple of things you must know!
1. Attitude is everything - refuse to let someone tell you no! After all...I can do ALL THINGS through Christ Jesus who strengthens me. And the last time I looked our God was bigger than all of this so to know he is on your side who can be against your.
2. If there is a 9% unemployment rate than that means that there is still 90% of folks who have jobs...and they are still out there but are most likely not found in the conventional way that you think (newspapers...yeck!!!)
3. The resume...The purpose of your resume is to get you in for an interview..not tell your life story. Did you know that you have only 30 seconds to get my attention! Please, please FOCUS!!! Depending on your needs, there are different styles of resume to achieve what you want.
4. Transferable skills....those are the skills that no one needs to teach you. You have them! So work them!
For example: If you have the gift of administration, it doesn't matter if you are in church work, a dentist office, a manufacturing setting...all you need to do is learn the "industry".
5. The Interview..... Do you know what to say when they ask you how much money you want? Or when they ask do you have any questions for me?
Hmm.....these are some good questions we will talk about on Friday.Being creative will get you everywhere!
I remember a time when we lived in Mannheim Germany, where there were very few job. I thought I might want to work at the USO (United Services Organization).
They had an opening as a finance manager. I applied for the position with Accounting 1 and 2 under my belt. I did not get the job.
A few weeks later I went to the director and asked him if I could volunteer to write some job descriptions. Some people might say that was a bit crazy...well... A few weeks after that the Finance Manager position opened up and guess who got it...That is right...I did!
So, I write this to encourage you, and share what tips I do know on how to tackle this crazy job market! There is hope and there is help! Even to this day, as an HR Manager for a large manufacturing company, I am STILL hiring. Don't feel as though there is nothing out there. There is! More to come on the interview process and the do's and don'ts of it all.
Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the comments!