Wednesday, March 28, 2007

John 3:1-21

As we continue on through John this morning, we will begin to see Jesus share with a man named, Nicodemus, the truth of how exactly you will attain eternal life. Kris and took this class called, Faith, a long time ago at our church. It's a tool, that's all, just a tool on how you can lead people to the truth. After all, it says in 1 Peter 3:15 "Always be prepared to give an answer for why you believe what you do." And that was basically what this class did, it taught us how to share our faith. I get nervous saying that, because I know there are many religions where all you do is go to church for them to "tell you" why you believe what you do, there is no experience in that. And in a way, I could see how this class could possibly fall into that category, of someone else telling you why you believe what you do. BUT, I take it much differently, I look at it as a tool, just as the bible is our greatest tool, God has given us many wise and godly men and women who know how to put things into terms where we can understand.

But my goal through this bible study that God is working through, is to get women to figure out why they believe what they believe based on scripture and their OWN personal convictions. I think there is so much more when we discover things on our own rather than sitting and listening to someone else tell us why we believe what we do. Now, it's very important that our convictions align with scripture, if they don't and we start to say things like, "well, I just don't FEEL convicted to be that way" then, there is a huge problem. Not everything in life "feels" good and it's why I have such a big problem with these church's who tell people "just come as you are......roll outta bed and come on!" Not ironically at all, many people enjoy these churches, because they go, they make them "feel good" and then they go back to their lives. There's no accountability, no convictions, no life changing actions.

Although that really has nothing to do with what I've read this morning, I still strongly believe in those convictions, call me traditional or whatever you'd like, but I still believe that when we enter God's HOLY sanctuary we should be dressed in way that we would feel comfortable to stand before Christ in, after all, He's there..............we should have our bibles, bring our tithe and be ready to worship....not just to get "fed". I have found, especially with my generation, that church is becoming a very casual place. There is nothing casual about going to church in my opinion! I definitely think the type of worship music that is sung, should be that of the style of church, sometimes I yawn unbelievably at some of the old hymns we sing at our church, but I think they do a good job of mixing the songs up, most of the time. But even there, I have the wrong attitude about worship music! It shouldn't even matter what I'm singing, I'm praising my Lord......and can I do that singing "The Old Rugged Cross" ???? YES, but I will be honest, just because I prefer music that is more "worshipful" it is hard.

Anyways, sorry I got off on that tangent, back to John! Verse 1 starts off with Nicodemus telling Christ how awesome he is and how they all know he is truly from God because of the miracles that he has performed. Here Jesus replies, v3 "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." I feel like I must share with you that Nicodemus was a VERY wise and noble man. In fact Jesus refers to him as "Israel's teacher" v10. So, I think Nicodemus must have had a heart like many "wise" people do, things have to "make sense", it has to be practical, and it's not practical to be "born again"! I could just imagine the look on Nicodemus's face when Jesus shares this with him........like what on earth is he talking about?? But Jesus, of course begins to explain this event to him.

v5 "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the spirit of gives birth to the Spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, You must be born again." Basically Jesus is sharing with us, that the one and only way to become a "born again" believer is to invite the Holy Spirit into our lives. This is the term that many use as "saved". You see, we can go through our whole lives, go to church, do all the right things and say all the right things, but until we have this heart change, we are not going to heaven. It's kinda like.........I can SAY that someone is coming over to my house, get my house all fixed up for them, make dinner and go all out, but unless I INVITE them to my house, they are not coming. (unless your my neighbor who comes as she pleases!) The Holy Spirit wants to dwell within us, but we have to ask him to be there and we have to want him to be there.

I was just thinking about how much I have to get done today. It's a bit overwhelming. In fact, I think I'd rather just sit here and chat with you! But, I love something I heard from Joyce Meyer once, she said on days like this, I can either sit around and complain about all of life's tasks or I can say, I KNOW Christ is gonna give me the strength to get it all done, I WILL be victorious and I WILL DO IT ALL!! And then, GO DO IT! Satan would love more than anything for me to be defeated in everything I do, and I just can't let him win! I WON'T let him win, not today! But I think I'd better grab another cup of coffee!! =) That's what I love about Joyce, she's a no excuses kinda woman!! So, off I go to experience God's blessings through victorious living! Have a blessed day!!

No comments: